Historia de Gulf Oil

With a 100-year heritage, the Gulf brand is globally recognised and trusted by millions of customers. Opening the first-ever branded petrol station in Pittsburgh, USA in 1913, we have led the way in fuel retail ever since.

Thanks to our pioneering spirit, we began to develop other sites, branding them with the distinctive orange disc that still forms part of the Gulf logo today. During the 1960s, the Gulf brand developed high profile marketing campaigns, including sponsorship of the Apollo moon landings.

Gulf’s instantly recognisable orange disc is now synonymous around the world with high quality products, innovation and technical excellence.

In addition to worldwide coverage for lubricant sales, today Gulf is now present in over 25 countries across the world for both fuel retailing and lubricants, with aspirations of achieving 60 by 2020.

 

 

December 2012

Houghton

Gulf acquires the world’s largest metalworking fluids manufacturer, US-based Houghton International.

2008

Slippery when wet

Gulf Oil Marine is established, growing rapidly to become one of the top 6 Marine lubricant companies, servicing more than 1000 ports worldwide.

1984

The Hinduja Group

The Hinduja Group buy Gulf to form what becomes Gulf Oil International

1975

Gulf Supporting Porsche

Gulf sponsors Porsche Racing, and becomes synonymous with racing

1971

The Man at Le Mans

Steve McQueen’s movie ‘Le Mans’ brings prestige to the brand

1970

Gulf reaches peak production, processing 1.3m barrels daily

Sponsorship of Manchester United Football Club

1943

Venezuela Adventure

Gulf establishes a presence in the oil fields of Venezuela

1936

Gulf sells the Barco concession to Texaco

1926

Gulf purchases the Barco oil concession

1913

Innovative Thinking

Gulf introduces the first drive through fuel station

1910

Gulf Launches the world's first ever water drilling operation

1901

Spindletop: The Beginning